US spy satellite believed lost after SpaceX launch

US spy satellite believed lost after SpaceX launch

A SpaceX Falcon-9 rocket suffered a complete loss of a highly secret military satellite, codename Zuma, following its launch on Sunday. "We are also preparing for an F9 launch for SES and the Luxembourg Government from SLC-40 in three weeks".

Similar in concept to the retired space shuttles that took off like a rocket and landed on an aircraft runway, the OTV is an uncrewed vehicle, with the US Air Force only revealing that it is a testbed for future spacecraft, and not a new orbital space weapon.

SpaceX on Friday announced via Twitter the launch - which had been repeatedly delayed since November - had been pushed back to Jan. 7 due to bad weather.

"If we or others find otherwise based on further review, we will report it immediately", she said.

The rocket is designed to get heavy payloads into space and restores the possibility of flying manned missions to the moon or Mars. The satellite could have cost billions of dollars.

The payload is suspected to have burned up in the atmosphere after it failed to separate properly from the upper part of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, the report said.

Shotwell went on to say that any information or suggestion contrary to her statement is "categorically false".

"But on this mission the customer provided its own payload adapter, so separation may be its problem and not SpaceX's problem".

The Zuma mission was first revealed to the public in October, when NASA reported that SpaceX has requested authorization for the mysterious "Mission 1390". The company is hoping to start ferrying astronauts to the ISS this year and to win more contracts from the Pentagon.

SpaceX on Tuesday defended the performance of one of its rockets used to launch a U.S. spy satellite that is believed to have been lost after failing to reach orbit, adding that no changes were anticipated to its upcoming launch schedule. The government is reportedly still hashing out the details to determine who was at fault. And while the company and its CEO Elon Musk shared some photographs and videos of the visual spectacle, doubts are now being raised about the actual success of the mission.